Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Endings and Beginnings





Yesterday I sat in a coffee shop watching a five year old building be torn apart for no reason other than the fact that the land it was on was bought by someone else. I browsed my computer and marveled at how slow a building can be created, but how quickly it can be torn down. It was nearing 4:00 and I sighed. "Life just keeps changing" I told myself. It's a shame such a new building couldn't have found a new purpose. Was land just land? Did the building mean nothing?  I refreshed Facebook again.

BOSTON MARATHON RUNNERS BOMBED AT FINISH LINE

I didn't even know what to think. I hadn't even thought about this race until this hour. I kept refreshing my news page. Hundreds hurt. Casualties. 2 dead. 3 dead. Was this for real? Such a happy event- one thousands trained months for, the one moment of success, the dream of a lifetime simply- gone.

But there is the aspect of hurt- when many people share it at one time and one event, we turn to help each other. I can hear the stories of success come out of this tragedy.



AMPUTEES RUN MARATHON FOR FIRST TIME

ATHLETES RUN TO SUPPORT VICTIMS

AMERICANS LIVE WITHOUT FEAR

(to paraphrase) Lemony Snicket, "these are the words I so desperately wish I could type"

We can do this America. Stay strong and have faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment